Tuesday 29 April 2014

Introduction

I don't know about you.  But I am getting tired of hearing that the senate needs to be fixed and that no one can seem to fix it. 

I have a few ideas that would make the senate viable, useful and representative.  And I'd love to hear what other people think about it.

Let's start with a little background on me.  I am a retired Canadian, born in Quebec, worked in Ontario and retired to BC.  I have travelled to every province and territory (except Nunavut - but that's on the bucket list) in Canada.  I love my country.  I fly our flag.  And I watch both women's and men's hockey during the Olympics.

When I lived in Ontario I never really understood Western AlienationBut now I live in the west and I understand it perfectly.  I have lived in Quebec (21 years) and appreciate the unique qualities of the French language and culture (although I am ashamed to admit I am not bilingual.)  But when it comes to a distinct society, my mind immediately jumps to the wonderful isolated fishing villages of Newfoundland and Labrador.  Or the red sands of PEI.  Or the farms of Annapolis Valley in Nova Scotia.  Or the Bay of Fundy tides in New Brunswick.  Or the Magdalen Islands of Quebec.  Or the Mennonite/Amish country in Ontario.  Or the winds of Portage and Main in Winnipeg, Manitoba.  Or the wheat fields of Saskatchewan.  Or the cattle ranches near Pincher Creek, Alberta.  Or the wild back country of British Columbia.  Or the wide open tundra of The Yukon.  Or the long winter nights and long summer days of Inuvik in the North-West Territories.  All parts of this great land are distinct.  

How, then, can we have a senate that will meet the needs of all Canadians?  We will never satisfy everyone, but I have a plan that I think can work well for most.  I will lay out this simple plan in the coming days.  But it's bed-time now.

No comments:

Post a Comment